Re: [NTLK] OT Re: Another Newton feature now available for the iPhone

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 10:52:05 EDT

>if Microsoft products were really such crap they would have gone bankrupt

To the other excellent comments in this thread I expand on one point:

The world is full of crappy products that beat out better choices for
endless reasons, none of them good. Few human purchases of anything
are wise, and poor choices are commonplace.

Before sharing three examples, I want to acknowledge Windows XP was a
huge improvement and greatly diminished their lags behind Apple. I
still prefer Macs for lots reasons, but the choice is less obvious
than before XP. And I'm sure many here are correct about ways Redmond
outshines Cupertino. more in PS

1. Although no one denies one should buy low and sell high in
investing, there are very few Warren Buffetts in the world because
most buy high and sell low. That's why history is scarred with
recurring bubbles and manias, like the currently imploding housing
bubbles in several Western countries. (And the currently
unsustainable sucker bear market rally in US stocks.)

2. Coca-cola remains one of the world's most popular sources of
calories despite the fact it's basically poison; at best it's
counterfeit nutrition.

3. Observe the next choice you observe someone making: chances are
you wouldn't choose it -- or at least not at that price.

School of hard knocks isn't just effective, it's arguably the
overwhelmingly preferred human approach to learning.

Maybe I'm becoming an old codger, but in my youth there was an
expression "There's a sucker born every minute." Seems like nowadays
it's more like every nanosecond.

PS

I also have lots sympathy and something approaching admiration for
Redmond ever/mostly maintaining backward compatibility, and I suspect
that may be the main reason Windows is infamous for bug infestations:
Talk about headaches for engineers! It's a major Mac drawback/pain
that so much must be continually updated. If one didn't get
significant improvements thereby, Windows' consistency would be big
advantage; it certainly keeps many users on board.