Re: [NTLK] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 10:51:38 EDT

Hello,

--- On Wed, 9/2/09, Aaron Brigati <abrigati@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you backlit an e-ink page, if any light got through at
> all it would be solid grey, since it's not like the pixels are
> 'on' or 'off' - think of it like the page is made if millions of
> ping-pong balls painted black on one site, that are rotated to make the
> display.
>
> This is why it uses no power to display a page, only change
> the page - once the particles are in place, they stay there.

Thank you for being patient and breaking that down for me. I was completely unaware that efforts to provide for sharply improved contrast meant that other drawbacks were introduced as a result. And that Sony didn't have any choice but to make things as they are. [grins sheepishly]

>Frankly, I find my entirely non-backlit Bookeen CyBook v3 to be
>readable in more light conditions than my Newton - except total
>darkness, of course.

Unfortunately for me, the ability to read in the dark is a must-have feature of any eBook reader. I've seen the third-party clip-on lights being sold for the Kindle and I don't fancy fumbling for one of these in the dark and trying to attach it to the Kindle if I want to look at something. At home, maybe, but on the go....it's just too unwieldy. :(

It doesn't look like the lack of backlight affected Kindle sales too badly, (if at all) so it looks as though I'm in the minority with my need for a backlight. ;)

Best,

James Fraser