Re: [NTLK] [OT] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 08:27:53 EDT

Hi,

Yes, there were indeed SCMS strippers available - they were quite
common for use with "domestic" DAT recorders back in the day. Mind you,
the total difference between a "professional" portable DAT recorder and
a "domestic" portable DAT recorder was generally the *absence* of the
SCMS system ! (Barring any ruggedization that was done to the
mechanicals...) But why should anyone have had to go to the expense of
buying extra equipment (of possibly questionable legality) simply to
use equipment they had already bought and paid for to use in a
completely legal way ?

Another entry in the "Acts of Egregious Stupidity by Sony" file might
be the use of UMDs in the PlayStation Portable - a UMD basically being
a MiniDisc, but without the retractable cover for the disc - so your
nice expensive PSP game is afforded *less* physical protection than the
cheap blank MD it's based on... still, at least your vulnerable UMD is
in a nice funky curved casing, which is *way* more important...

Bah !

- Tony