Re: [NTLK] Streamlining Book Making

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 14:27:43 EDT

On 9/11/2009 2:45 PM, SteveC wrote:
> Woody, I like that idea and bought Newtscape several months ago just for
> it's touted book making capabilities. What I was hoping for, for right now,
> was a way to make a "book pre-processing factory" where I could get all of
> my text together, all of my images together, and spit them out with minimal
> formatting. My first desire is to compile some children's books for the
> eMate, so I'm talking about large fonts, multiple pictures, a small total
> pkg size, but a quantity of ~ 20 books.
>
> Even if I go the Newtscape route, I still want to get the books into RTF or
> HTML format for sending without doing any tweaking on the Newton side.

Ok, first off pictures take up a lot of space. I doubt you will get any
 sort of "small pkg size" if you use multiple pictures. I use to
include them and do on occasion, but in general one picture can make up
1/4th the space of a plain text book. Of course your millage may vary.

Second, the problem you are encountering with .rtf is even though it is
a standard, it has changed over the years. The newer .rtf generating
programs are not likely going to work with Press. You need to use older
programs. Windows wordpad for example. Or something similar in age for
the Mac.

Thirdly, minimal formating...that depends on your original sources. If
there are hard breaks, you might need something to re parse them. Such
as interparse. There is a copy on UNNA. It is for windows only though.

-Dan