Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 14:04:03 EDT

----- Original Message ----
From: M. Horvat <redjazz_slo@yahoo.com>
To: newtontalk@newtontalk.net
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:35:54 AM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

> Apple has never been better. From Snow Leopard, to the Mac Mini and MacBook Air, to Time Capsule and the iPhone, they have the most compelling products ever.

Depends on what you mean with "most compelling":

The Mac Mini is the most expensive computer of its size I've ever seen, and compared to what you can do with a Via Artigo, much less powerful.

-Asus Nova was the same price, for example. But even though it is not the most powerful desktop computer (no mini computer is), it is an incredible computer because of its diminutive size and design.

MacBook Air? Very pretty and thin, but kind of awkward when it becomes obsolete in less than two years (and the battery goes bad even before that!). Reputedly there's a Dell laptop that's thinner than the Air.

-Strawman: all computers become "obselete" and all laptop batteries go bad. And the Adamo currently on sale has much less power than the Air and is not technically as thin (the Air at its thinnest point is .16 inches; the Adamo... .65 inches). In addition, the Adamo weighs a full 1 lb. more than the Air: base models are the same price.

Time Capsule... that's OK, but expensive.

-It's cheap: $299 for 1 TB of space and a full featured 802.11n basestation. It costs just slightly more than a top 500 GB portable hard drive that has no other functionality but a hard drive.

iPhone? Well, I guess if they want to call it a phone, they should just make a phone (as in "Ericsson GA628" - I consider it a very good phone). Otherwise it's OK.

-The iPhone is a breakthrough. Its innovation has pushed the mobile phone industry into new directions, and now most are coming out with multi-touch screens and app stores. The functionality that the iPhone offers is what makes it such a breakthrough, and something that no other device can match.

For example, with Rowmote, you can turn your iPhone into a full featured trackpad, and control a computer. You can also use the keyboard to input text on that computer. With another application, you can monitor and control your server remotely. In addition to all of its other functionality, like Mail, PIM, gaming, etc., it is one of the most compelling electronic devices ever.

And for the sake of convenience, please stop making "Apple tablet coming soon" threads every two months.

-I did not start this thread.

Thank you.

-Matej Horvat

Thank you.