Re: [NTLK] what to do with a broken Newton

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 13:02:38 EDT

> I was advised awhile back that it was not cost effective to have my
> upgraded 2000/2100 repaired. It has a broken screen. So I saved my
> pennies and was able to get a 2100. So now I have a working Newton and
> a dead one. I salvaged the dongle, cables, keyboard, pc cards, stylus
> and case but the unit and batteries do not appear to be much good.
>
> Is there anything I can do with these? Can the batteries be
> upgraded/restored?

Attempting to restore a 2x00 battery pack usually isn't worth the effort. The good news is that it
is not that difficult to rebuild one:

    http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html

I could do this for you if you aren't in a hurry. Recently Ferdi (knowledgenavigator) tried to
purchase dead battery packs and posted a request here, so there's also a chance that you could turn
your dead pack into a small sum of money if you do no longer need it.

From what you describe as having already been salvaged, the rest of your question probably refers to
two leftovers: An upgraded mainboard and a broken display. As far as the mainboard is concerned,
there's no difference between an original 2100 mainboard and an upgraded 2000 mainboard, so you
might want to keep it as a spare. Depending on what exactly is broken on your display, there is a
chance that you can either salvage the LCD or the digitizer (touchscreen) as a spare, too. You
should also keep the backlight, which usually survives mechanical screen damage and can be easily
removed.

Frank

PS Message to all list members: Please redirect Newton hardware you want to get rid of from your
trash bin to my letter box. In almost every case I will gladly pay for shipping. Almost every part
of a Newton, even if defective, has the potential to make another Newton user very happy at some day
in the future.

Frank