[NTLK] OT: Mossberg gives thumbs up to iPad

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 19:47:23 EDT 2010

Hello,

--- On Fri, 4/2/10, Ryan <newtontalk at me.com> wrote:

> Microsoft has flat out failed in the tablet PC market.

I can make roughly the same case for Apple in the tablet market, too, can't I? :)

There is, however, nothing I can see that prevents a company from learning from past mistakes.

>Everything they have done in that space has failed to take root with >consumers.

I agree.  Past performance is no sure-fire indication of future results, though, is it?

> Therefore, I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you about
> what they are doing with what still is an imaginary product:
> the courier.

I'm concerned with which company will come the closest to producing a device I actually want to buy more than anything.  The iPad is neat, sure, but I just don't happen to share the view that it's quite the revolutionary device that Apple seems to think it is.  That opinion may change, of course, with the second or third iteration, but right now, I don't see myself parting with my money for one.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has not "shot its bolt," so to speak.  So they might be incorporating features into their product that Apple doesn't deem important (rightly or wrongly).  While I can certainly understand your point of view, (i.e. they've tried in the past and failed) I just can't bring myself to be quite so dismissive of them. [shrugs]

> Like I said, I wouldn't say no to a camera, but you won't
> see people walking around taking pictures and video with a
> giant pancake that is the iPad when they can do it with much
> smaller devices like a digital camera or a smartphone.

Until Apple decides to incorporate a camera into their product, these same consumers aren't left with any choice but to do so.

Best,

James Fraser