[NTLK] New [Old] Newton Owner

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 07:09:16 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/04/07 11:36, Jonathan Schalliol at jon at schalliol.com wrote ~~~

> Greetings community!  I thought I'd send a brief introduction.
>
> In 1995 I was the Mac department manager at the Indianapolis CompUSA where I
> sold Newtons and bought a 120 with 2.0 while I was in high school.  ...
> I ultimately eBayed my 120 with 2.0, and just bought a 2100 on eBay
> (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180489709839&ssPageName=ST
> RK:MEWNX:IT).  I look forward to getting this unit updated to complete
> functionality!
>
> Best,
> Jon

Jon,

Welcome back to the wonderful world of Newton!  As a very late adopter -- I
only finally got my first Newt in 2005 -- I have to confess to a little envy
that you had the pleasure of using Newtons during your high school and
university years.  When I graduated high school, "computers" were things
large, rich companies leased from IBM and installed in large rooms or small
buildings.   ;-)

But I also feel a little astonishment that you could bring yourself to part
with yours, especially with such a fantastic set-up in your car.  How did
you stabilize the printer to prevent it tipping and rolling around?   I
thought of doing something like that with my laptop and a printer back in
the '80s and '90s, but I never got through the planning and trouble-shooting
phase and now, I reckon the Newton was more advanced and better suited to
doing it than the conventional portable computers of that time anyway.  Your
description has encouraged me.   In fact, if I can come up with a spare
Newton-compatible printer I might try it now.  An obstacle will be to find a
way to have any kind of connectivity on the road.

So welcome back; have a browse through recent posts (last December-ish) so
you can fix the 2010 bug, and have a look at the threads about "must-have"
apps (I think it was from around the same time), and perhaps the thread(s)
about carrying cases and holsters.  The 2100 runs some amazing software and
there are some handy and cool ways to carry it.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4