[NTLK] OT: iPad vs. MS Courier: Sound Off

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 08:51:43 EDT 2010

I believe that the direct mental interface will be solved totally
differently. We do not need to completely understand something to measure
it. A Wifi sniffer on a key chain does not understand the signal it is
detecting but it can "measure" the signal and return useful information to
the more powerful computer. I think the direct mental interface will be the
same way we will learn to "measure" the brain be fore we understand how it
works. As for now, we "measure" by placing electrode in the brain. But just
as MRI's and Cat Scans have replaced many exploratory surgeries, there will
be a device developed to "measure" brain activity without the need for any
invasive procedure.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Ryan wrote:
<snip>
In the case of brain-machine interfaces, we don't have to know everything
there is to know about the brain for these things to work.   It just works.
Implanting circuitry in the brain with learned algorithms attached is
incredibly powerful.
<snip>