[NTLK] OT: iPad vs. MS Courier: Sound Off

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 10:02:34 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/04/09 20:12, Ed Kummel at tech_ed at yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> A future 100 years from now? What do I care? I'll be long gone before that
> future gets here! If you have other reasons to be concerned with that future,
> then that's strictly up to you. Personally, I don't and could care less what
> that future holds. As long as my life-time is taken care of.
> I know that sounds cold and callous, but I have to be honest. I'm on this
> world for a limited length of time. I don't have any children, don't want any
> and can't abide by them either. So, my future is *MY* future. I don't have to
> plan for anyone else other than me and my wife.

Sorry to say this Ed, but it seems to me that's the kind of attitude that
lets so many bankers, businessmen and politicians make decisions that are
clearly destructive in the long-term, but which line their own pockets and
use other people's money to build their own comfort.  Our lives are too
interactive than that.  Society isn't just a construct anymore, if it ever
was only that.  Our lives are so entangled now that society is also an
imperative for our survival.

Otherwise, what next?  Do we all take a "me and my own" attitude?  How far
can we we go down that road before it finds, let's say, me deciding that
what you're doing to take care of you and yours endangers what I want to do
to take care of me and mine -- so I unload a couple of barrels of buckshot
into you?  And so on and so on?  And if not, why not?

I'm quite sure you don't mean any of that and especially you would never
take it to its logical conclusion.  But I can see no inherent reason why it
shouldn't be taken that far.

Just some thoughts.

Shalom.
Christian