[NTLK] Ooops! Keyspan High Speed USB Adapter

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Tue Apr 20 12:05:23 EDT 2010

On Friday, April 16, 2010, at 11:58AM, "Forrest Buffenmyer" <anasazi4st at me.com> wrote:
>If anyone is still looking for a Keyspan High Speed USB to Mac DB9 Serial Adapter to connect the Newton (through the special dongle)to a Mac running OSX (or to a PC), it can be had through Chris Roberts at Other World Computing (OWC) for $34.99 plus shipping. From what I can recall on here, that seems like a good price.

Through that wonderful thing known as miscommunication the wrong information has been presented here...what I *should* have said was, a "High Speed USB to Mac *mini-DIN 8* serial adapter. I wholeheartedly apologize for this mistake.

In the 80s Apple had a 9-pin mini-DIN connector called a GeoPort which appeared on the PowerMacintosh 6100 series and up, and was primarily designed for a modem, IIRC. The mini-DIN 8 replaced that...I suppose I was subconsciously thinking of this one...who knows?

I have emailed Chris Roberts at Other World Computing to see if they have the mini-DIN 8-pin to USB adapter available...but I couldn't find anything after searching the OWC website last night...I did find a unit--also made by Keyspan--that features *2* mini-DIN 8-pin connectors, the USA-28XHG. One of the cheapest places I found for this item was here:

http://www.govconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=7176391

The retail is $89.95 at most places I saw.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
--Forrest