[NTLK] Hi there - maximizing LCD Contrast and readability in direct sunlight

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 11:51:05 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/04/24 09:30, Tim Kaluza at timkaluza at me.com wrote ~~~

> Hi there!
>
> The Newton is quite good to be read in direct sunlight. But why shouldn't be
> there a way to improve it.
>
> First of all the technique behind is:  Transflective liquid crystal display
> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transflective_liquid_crystal_display )
>
> Therefore I took a aluminium foil behind the lcd-screen but before the light
> emisson-source.
> Very nice outcome. Readability in direct sunlight very good. But you can't use
> the backlight anymore. Therefore I searched for a foils that can pass light:
> Space blanket / mylar blanket.
> Readability very good but the backlight is much to weak to really light the
> screen.

Sorry to swerve from the topic just a tad but you have me wondering.  I find
that after more than a minute or two, my Newton's screen goes dark if the
sunlight truly is direct.  My solution is that I make a point of turning the
screen so the sun isn't directly on it, or else is in the shade.  The
alternative is for the LCD   But since my polarized sunglasses 'light up'
the Newton screen, it's no loss of visibility.  In fact, indirect sunlight +
polarized shades are an improvement if anything.

So my question is, why doesn't your Newton go dark in the direct sunlight?

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4