[NTLK] Hi there - maximizing LCD Contrast and readability in direct sunlight

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 17:31:20 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/04/27 21:49, Tim Kaluza at timkaluza at mac.com wrote ~~~

> I'm not sure that I understood your "problem" right - the screen isn't just
> readable or are the pixels turning black?
>
> What happens with a foil? Actually you can pull up the contrast button because
> the reflected sunlight enhances the readability in turning up the contrast. I
> mean Newt's LCD Display doesn't provide our eye with light. It's just that its
> less light than the surrounding ( the one pixel) therefore maximising the
> contrast should help here to, shouldn't it?

Hi Tim,

The screen just goes black.  I've seen this before with LCD displays in
direct sunlight -- I think it's because the direct sun heats up the liquid
crystal.  Whatever the reason, once it happens there's no pulling up the
contrast button because it's invisible!

BTW, if anyone can explain the relevant aspects of liquid crystal technology
to me I'd be grateful.   It's something I've wanted to find out more about
for awhile, but never quite got to asking.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4