[NTLK] Hi there - maximizing LCD Contrast and readability in direct sunlight

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:33:14 EDT 2010

~~~ On 2010/04/27 22:42, Morgan Aldridge at morgant at makkintosshu.com wrote
~~~

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The screen just goes black.  I've seen this before with LCD displays in
>> direct sunlight -- I think it's because the direct sun heats up the liquid
>> crystal.  Whatever the reason, once it happens there's no pulling up the
>> contrast button because it's invisible!
>
> Have you tried AutoLCD yet? It periodically checks the temp sensors in
> the MessagePad and adjusts the contrast relative to what you set it to
> under "normal" temps:
>
> <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/utilites/system_enhancements/AutoLCD1.1>

Thanks Morgan, I've never heard of it until now.

But I notice it says "...it's important that the sun doesn't shine directly
onto the display".   Because the original post was about "Contrast and
readability in direct sunlight", I posted about my own experience, which is
that in **direct** sunlight, my Newt's contrast and readability drop to zero
after about 1-3 minutes, depending on the sun's intensity.  That's why I
prefer positioning myself and my Newton so the sun isn't right on the
screen, and looking at it through my polarized shades.

So I don't suppose this package addresses the subject.  But it looks like an
interesting package anyway.

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant