[NTLK] setting up my spare NEWTON

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Wed Apr 28 13:08:29 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, April 28, 2010, at 08:56AM, "Doug Denby" <ddenby at rogers.com> wrote:
>Just for silliness sake, do you have a backup on the card? If so, you should be able to restore the computer's stuff from the backup. At least most of it. Don't know if the patch will work that way.

I can tell you that it does not. You have to apply the patch manually, preferably BEFORE you do anything else. I just puchased a nearly-new "real" MP2100 on eBay, and am trying to bring over packages and data from my everyday overclocked 2x00. I backed up to a data card and when I tried to restore this information on the new 2100 it kind of freaked out. Since I hadn't applied Eckhart's patch to it yet, all my reminders kept coming up and I couldn't dismiss them...over and over again, the machine continuously beeping and opening Reminder windows that I would click out of, only to have them reappear literally a second later...and I have a LOT of reminders!

The solution seems to be: brainwipe the Newton, reboot, install the patch, restore the system.

My question is: in order for internet access to work properly, certain packages need to be installed before other packages. Does this happen automatically when restoring, or does this need to be done manually first?

I'll post an update with an answer to these questions a little later on, after I've successfully completed my restoration.

Thanks,
--Forrest