[NTLK] Stuck Newton 2000 Battery Tray

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Mon Aug 16 08:29:31 EDT 2010

On 16.08.2010, at 14:08, Jonathan Kamel wrote:

> Hello,
> I have recently purchased a Newton 2000, and am having some issues with the battery cover. The release latch on the side of the Newton moves freely, yet the battery tray door does not cone out of the device at all. It seems to be stuck. Are there any suggestions on how to go about and solve such a dilemma of the stuck battery compartment, like prying it open with a flathead screwdriver?

DON'T pry on the cover! I will break off!

The Newton has no harddrive, so this is what I do: Lock the latch in the "open" position using some tape or glue. I hold the machine in my right hand at the top. Then I slap it with the edge into my left hand so that the batteries can push themselves out of the case with the inertia of their weight (sorry, not a native English speaker, so this may sound convoluted, but its simple, and it works). Of course, don't slam it on any hard surface!

Make sure that the battery case will fall on a soft surface when it finally slips out of the machine.

 - Matthias