[NTLK] NCX and synchronizing names

Forrest anasazi4st at me.com
Mon Aug 16 15:29:47 EDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Simon Bell <simonbell at me.com> wrote:

On 16 Aug 2010, at 17:26, Forrest wrote:

> the Newton displays "Backing Up Names", and there is the moving
> "barber pole"..the Mac displays "Internal" above the barber pole,
> and "Pushing Names" below--then NCX quits, disappears from the
> display, and there's an error message on the Newton saying the Mac
> has disconnected.

Um, okay, I freely admit that the sync component of NCX is by far the
largest and most error-prone. That being said, it works for the data I
have here at the Newton Research laboratories.

> Nothing appears changed in either machine afterwards.

Under the circumstances, that’s a good thing, no? :)

> I know NCX's creator Simon Bell monitors our NewtonTalk list, so
> maybe he has some answers...?

If only it were that straightforward! I have a feeling there’s going
to be a lot of investigation before I have any answers.

Simon

Simon:
Thanks for the prompt response.
After an email exchange we had last year where you admitted you likely would not ever enable the SYNCHRONIZE function in NCX, for various reasons, I have to admit I was *overjoyed* to see that you'd gone ahead even a little bit with this!
Yes, it *is* a good thing that neither data gets changed in the aborted process...and, I should be able to get you a Console Log report from the Mac in the next day or so, to aid in your debugging process.
I've been experimenting with all sorts of other means to sync the Newton's Names and Dates features with both Mac and PC...with the goal to achieve iDisk syncing (to update any other machines I might use). I've tried NCU and OS 9...NewtSync with PC (using LookOut for Outlook syncing), and with Mac, even reinstalling Panther on a TiBook (NewtSync won't work with iCal running Tiger and up).
Short of writing some sort of app or program (possibly Automator work flow, somehow?) for this, nothing I've tried works very well...only NCX has any real promise, IMHO, in this area.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks,
--Forrest