[NTLK] New Newton Manual Released

Ryan newtontalk at me.com
Fri Aug 20 13:51:44 EDT 2010

Hi:

Not sure I see the contradiction.  Here is the sentence again:

"Some advice... rebuilding Newton battery packs, other than the eMate, can be a bit tricky."

The instructions were for the eMate.  This sentence... I stated that if you are rebuilding for other Newtons, that can be a bit tricky.  This I know from doing it and getting feedback from someone who does it frequently.

As for frying Newtons, if you pan back on the list, you'll see some discussion about this.  It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is a real problem.  I have indeed fried Newtons this way, as I have heard of a few others too.  Also, Newtons are more prone to this when they are new, because the boards are brittle and there may be some oxidation.  This is a recipe for disaster using the charging circuit in this kind of environment...

The typos... well, looks like you just volunteered to edit the next version...

Take it easy.