[NTLK] wireless connectivity

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Aug 24 13:43:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM, PMichael Rodgers <pmiker at copper.net> wrote:

>  At work we have a wireless network for our Windows PC's.  Can the
> Newton be setup to work with this?  Is it feasible, cost-effective,
> and/or useful?

If the network support 802.11b clients and has either no encryption or
up to 128bit WEP encryption, then feasible it is.

Cost effective? That's tough to say. 802.11b PCMCIA WiFi cards like
the Lucent/ORiNOCO/etc WaveLAN Silver & Gold are fairly inexpensive
and it'll be faster than dialup. WiFi is fairly power hungry, so
expect to burn through charge _significantly_ faster.

Useful? It can be. I've used it for printing, installing packages,
reading web pages & RSS feeds and for email at one time or another.

Morgan
---
http://www.makkintosshu.com/
http://rikuwoiku.com/