[NTLK] I'm new to Newton emate purchased on ebay (Cosmo Kain)

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Sun Aug 29 19:28:21 EDT 2010

Chime in here someone if I'm overly conservative but:

The hinge needs fixing because the lubricant used in its initial construction
ages over time and loses its abilities.  I don't think it's got anything to do
with the amount of use it has had.

He's right that you might be able to visually inspect a hinge to assess the
likelihood of it causing damage in the next short while but eventually... it
will go and with catastrophic consequences.

The recommended fixes prevent the ribbon cable from ever being cut and is best
done as a preventative action. Before he ships I'd get him to do it anyway.

If it's already been shipped then I'd suggest getting it done as soon as
possible after it arrives.  There are some good guides on the net.  Sorry I
can't do it for you as I bought all my eMates with the fixes already done.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

[snip]

So when I finally get it, open and close it gently to avoid hinge problem, i
mean what can you do? The seller on ebay says he does the hinge fix if he
believes it's required - if they are like new there is no need - is what the
seller states ? But I don't know if he performed the fix on the unit he sent me.

[snip]