[NTLK] Some things never die

Stephan Weber ashkelon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 16:48:24 EST 2010

I had BOTH of my Toshiba laptops, the big X305, that is my development
machine, and the little netbook die within three days of each other. I was
pretty perturbed. They were both approved for replacement on warranty 3 yr
warranty, expiring in a couple months!). I went in to claim the replacements
and ended up with a couple Sonys.

But the funny part was when the sales force was surprised that I expected a
laptop to still be in use more than 4 years later -- flipped open the Newt
(one kid actually gasped and asked if I would will it to him), and said that
my backup machine is an old GRiD that once belonged to NASA, and between
these two machines I am keeping my business running in the 2 week interim.

Yeah, I may have a skewed view of hardware, but I do believe it's possible,
and that pitching serviceable machines in landfills is a sin. The netbook is
nice, but there's something so compelling about that instant-on readiness,
smooth application access, and wonderful handwriting recognition that keeps
me using the newt. I'm due for a backlight replacement and dreading it, but
will do it to keep the old newt going.

--
The Masters don't give orders;
they work with everybody else.