[NTLK] [Fwd: Google dropping support for older browsers in 2010] OT

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 15:17:07 EST 2010

OT but FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Google dropping support for older browsers in 2010
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:42:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Dan Knight, LowEndMac.com <lowenddan at gmail.com>
To: iMac Group <imaclist at googlegroups.com>

I received this email from Google. Although it most directly impacts
Google Docs and Google Sites at this point, Gmail and Google Calendar
are next on the list. There's no mention of Google Groups, but I
wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here in the coming
year.

I have some browser suggestions at the end of this posting.

- - - - -
Dear Google Apps admin,

In order to continue to improve our products and deliver more
sophisticated features and performance, we are harnessing some of the
latest improvements in web browser technology. This includes faster
JavaScript processing and new standards like HTML5. As a result, over
the course of 2010, we will be phasing out support for Microsoft
Internet Explorer 6.0 ​as well as other older browsers that are not
supported by their own manufacturers.

We plan to begin phasing out support of these older browsers on the
Google Docs suite and the Google Sites editor on March 1, 2010. After
that point, certain functionality within these applications may have
higher latency and may not work correctly in these older browsers.
Later in 2010, we will start to phase out support for these browsers
for Google Mail and Google Calendar.

Google Apps will continue to support Internet Explorer 7.0 and above,
Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome 4.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and
above.

Starting this week, users on these older browsers will see a message
in Google Docs and the Google Sites editor explaining this change and
asking them to upgrade their browser. We will also alert you again
closer to March 1 to remind you of this change.

In 2009, the Google Apps team delivered more than 100 improvements to
enhance your product experience. We are aiming to beat that in 2010
and continue to deliver the best and most innovative collaboration
products for businesses.

Thank you for your continued support!
- - - - -

Free Mac browsers, other than Safari (which you should already have).
Versions compatible with oldest versions of OS X and oldest hardware
listed ahead of those with higher system requirements:

Opera 10, OS X 10.3 and later, http://www.opera.com/
Firefox 3.6, OS X 10.4 and later, http://www.mozilla.com/
Camino 2.0, OS X 10.4 and later, http://caminobrowser.org/
  Camino 1.6 supports OS X 10.3.9, http://caminobrowser.org/download/
SeaMonkey 2.0, OS X 10.4 and later, http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Shiira 2.0, OS X 10.4 and later, http://shiira.jp/en
Flock, OS X 10.4 and later, http://www.flock.com/
Google Chrome, Intel only, OS X 10.5 and later,
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=mac

Mac OS 9 users, I don't think Classilla (http://classilla.org/) is
going to be supported, but you never know.