[NTLK] Mail V Problem, was Re: Newton vs. E5830 Blog Up

Tony Douglas tonyisyourpal at netscape.net
Wed Feb 10 16:03:51 EST 2010

Evening all !

I've been avoiding saying anything about my mail setup for the last couple of days, just in case I jinxed it and all... but it appears to be working again !

I did a few things, which between them seem to have encouraged Mail V to mend its ways :

1. Delete all the Mail Access entries and create new owner slips for each email account (5 of them currently, with 4 IMAP and 1 POP3 for receiving)

2. Tick the "Disconnect after Send/Receive" option in the Mail V Prefs slip

3. Threaten it by installing GoFetch

Between these three steps, Mail V has been behaving itself since Monday. A fellow commuter saw fit to take a photograph of the full mobile workstation setup (2000U, keyboard, E5830) and show it around his office, where it was commended for being a "combination of ingenuity and basic madness." (And that's the third time my Newtons have been the victims of drive-by photography...) But hey, it works for me, for receiving mail at least. There still appear to be some wrinkles to sort out with sending (specifically via AIM/Netscape's SMTP servers) but I'll knock those on the head as I get through them. At the moment I'm basking in being able to read personal email wherever, do some basic browsing to travel websites and read headlines using Raissa - in addition to all the usual excellent stuff like note taking etc etc. So, at the moment it's kinda all good. Might try Courier for RSS though, and I'm going to have a look at NNTP news readers for the half dozen or so news groups I follow.

Even the eMate 300 I managed to snag on eBay the other day has turned out to have a decent battery, when I initially thought it was a gone-r. And I've only been asked "but what can you do with it ?" once... ;)

Thanks for all the advice and hints everyone !

- Tony