[NTLK] Newton Speed Boost

Neal Trembath ntrembat2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 14:09:25 EST 2010

Per home brew hack (see http://planetstephanie.net/hi-tech-fun/newton/mp2x00-overclock/), crashes from hot switching are rare.  I've never heard of one, aside from the 1/50 Stephanie relates.  From what I understand, such crashes will not harm your Newton.  To avoid them, simply turn your Newton off before switching the switch.  If you have a crash, simply push the reset button to restart your Newton.  Serial/IrDA connections won't work while you're in DIY overclock mode, but cards will most times (e.g., wireless).

The DIY hack is easy and cheap (< $10 for the 5 MHz crystal and switch); you can fit a mini switch in the serial port hole w/o cutting the casing; you can substitute electrical tape for hot glue; the nib on many switches fits into the groove along the edge of the port hole.  http://www.electronicplus.com/ may stock crystals.

I can't speak from experience re KnowledgeNavigator mod, but $75 seems reasonable.