[NTLK] NSBasic Help Needed

Doug Denby ddenby at rogers.com
Sat Feb 13 17:01:59 EST 2010

Recently I have been playing with NSBasic using ZTerm on my Mac.

What I am trying to do is pass through to the Mac, any possible characters in a string, including those accessed via the option key. Such characters are easily typed on the Newton via the screen keyboard. But attempting to pass them through to ZTerm and pasting them into a TextEdit document results in some strange switches.

For example: the cedilla sign, typed by option-c, becomes a C.

Attempting to encode the cedilla before shipping doesn't work either. The code for cedilla is 231. Running a strReplace(s$,t$,"&cedilla;",nil), where s$=the string in question; t$=cedilla, results in a every single "c" being seen as a cedilla and the text is unusable.

Looking for solutions to this problem. I need a general solution as the cedilla is not the only character that is a problem. The same thing happens with French characters as well.

Doug