[NTLK] Public WiFi

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Mon Feb 15 14:38:00 EST 2010

On Monday, February 15, 2010 at 9:42 am Forrest Buffenmyer wrote:

> I know the MP2x00 can connect to public
> WiFi--my question is...how?

The problem is really multi-faceted. WEP security and SSID are only a small part of the big picture.

Does this "Public" WiFi require you to login via SSL and a web page?

At a hotel I worked for, I did manage to convince the system to let me login. It required me to use a laptop (with a PCMCIA slot). I logged in using the laptop and a web browser, using my Newt's PCMCIA Wireless Card. Watched closely what it did and, because it "remembered" the MAC address of my Newton's Wireless card, I did convince the hotel's system that I had a valid login. I also had to use Newt's Cape from my Newton to bypass the login screen.

It was a lot of watching, poking, prodding and magic (security holes). Not something done on a whim.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM