[NTLK] Ethernet versus WiFi - which is more plug and play?

SteveCraft steve at craftsathome.net
Thu Jan 7 20:27:58 EST 2010

+1 for me, wired.

I don't want to do WEP-only. At first, I bought an extra access point just
for the Newton and setup some rules on my router to only allow Newts with
certain IP ranges and then port rules and etc. But then that was only good
for my house, when I take the Newt somewhere I have to talk them into
allowing "open" WEP. Most of the world is on 802.11g with WPA.

I want to have longer battery life and I am pretty sure wireless drains the
battery more.

I want to have less packages installed (memory used) and WiFi takes at least
one more, maybe 2. Somebody more knowledgeable than me please correct me on
that one.

I am currently on a passive web hunt for a "wireless Ethernet bridge",
something that I can plug into my wired-ethernet Newt and let it do the
wireless communication. Using something like this would allow the latest
encryption/WiFi protocols and be a bit less in the setup area on the Newt. I
haven't found one yet that allows telnet-based configuration and takes
batteries, but I'm still looking a little....