[NTLK] The Apple Tablet (aka iNewt) saga, part 4,037,862

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Jan 12 03:59:52 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Ryan Vetter
<physicalconstants at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> As for the prop arm, Apple should take a hint from the Archos 5 or the Wacom Tablets.  That prop arm is really cool and without it, it will be annoying to have to carry a separate stand if you want to use it as a screen for watching movies or for text input with a bluetooth keyboard.

And therein is the biggest handicap of a tablet--size and awkwardness.
You _have_ to hold one, or prop it up. I just can't see tablets taking
off with normal people. I just don't see it... Until they weigh like a
feather, and can find some way to get small for carrying, I just don't
see them catching on. I still prefer my netbook on my lap to holding
an iPhone for longish periods. iPhones are great for quick moments or
on the move, but you always have to find a place to put it. Now I need
a stand for my night stand, a holder for my car, etc. Tablets would be
worse. I put up with these things (and have since my first Newton),
but when I see non-geeks play with these things, I can tell they are
uncomfortable with what to do with them, and how to handle them. It's
just a tad awkward for them. I know I'm being a wet blanket here, but
I don't see Apple actually bringing something to market without
finding a way to overcome these limitations--and a stand on the back
doesn't strike me as the way to go about it. And no, I don't have an
answer.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland