[NTLK] Daring Fireball calls Newton "The Original Tablet"

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Fri Jan 15 18:20:51 EST 2010

Bah, my favourite was either the hand toggled PDP-8 where I had to debug 7400 logic as a summer project, or our Amdahl 470-V8. That one had a touch screen, more like a vector graphics terminal, but hey. 1000 simultaneous users, 20 screaming megabytes of RAM (largest of its type in the world), CPU on the second floor, farm of disk drives on the first floor, reinforcing columns holding up the floors from bending, dual 120 side per minute laser printers, tape drives, card readers, solid state disks, and DRUM MEMORY FTW! Included a full department of staff to run it.

Bloody little computers, how can this be progress if you can't even tell if the email that you sent even got delivered, let alone got opened?