[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jan 16 22:16:51 EST 2010

Folks

This is clearly a contentious issue; most issues worthy of debate are, however
let's endeavour to keep comments unemotive and focused on the issue rather than
on the messenger(s).

I don't think Mark is trying to force anything down anyone's throat.  In effect,
by uploading his material after endeavouring to ensure that it is abandonware,
he is inviting the author to enforce his/her rights.

If he doesn't get a "cease and desist" then the community benefits from the
value of the software rather than it being lost (potentially forever). If the
author cares s/he can contact Mark.

There are a number of times I have kicked myself for not tracking down some
author sooner only to find that they are open to releasing the software as
freeware but have lost the source code ("Backed up somewhere but no one knows
where!" or "It's so many years ago, who knows where it is anymore?").

Tony