[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Norman Palardy npalardy at great-white-software.com
Sun Jan 17 12:47:31 EST 2010

On 16-Jan-10, at 8:16 PM, Tony Kan wrote:

> Folks
>
> This is clearly a contentious issue; most issues worthy of debate
> are, however
> let's endeavour to keep comments unemotive and focused on the issue
> rather than
> on the messenger(s).
>
> I don't think Mark is trying to force anything down anyone's
> throat.  In effect,
> by uploading his material after endeavouring to ensure that it is
> abandonware,
> he is inviting the author to enforce his/her rights.
>
> If he doesn't get a "cease and desist" then the community benefits
> from the
> value of the software rather than it being lost (potentially
> forever). If the
> author cares s/he can contact Mark.

The author's copyright exists whether Mark gets a cease and desist or
not.

Knowingly violating it, whether the author takes actions or not, is
also illegal.

It would suck to lose a bunch of great software but, as users, its not
OUR right to determine it MUST remain viable for us to use.
That's up to the author and IF they never release their product to the
public domain, abandonware or not, sorry but we lose that software.