[NTLK] h*cks, kr*ks, SN

Matt Howe matthowe at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 18:41:06 EST 2010

I guess that's where we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see where
your changes have changed a thing. By your logic, you can take anything from
a vacant house if you don't know how to get a hold of the owner? I guess
"abandoned" is a matter of opinion, but only a judge's opinion matters in
interpreting the law. I will freely admit that I have used software that I
did not have a right to. I am also guilty, but I do recognize that I was
wrong and I do not call the creator, arrogant or greedy because I took
something, or wanted something. Nor do I justify my actions by trying to
place blame on the creator of the software for not doing business the way I
want him to.

I will also declare here and now, that any software I have ever written for
use with the Apple Newton is copyrighted. That being said, I also declare
all of it free. And if anyone writes to me I will supply the source code. I
know that what I've written is not as powerful or as popular as some of the
software in this discussion but I want to support the community. But it is
my choice to do this, not an indictment or disapproval of how other
programmers handle their property.

And now, having said what I wanted I'm done posting on this topic until it
comes up again in a few years. But everyone else feel free to argue as is
your right, I mean no disrespect or disagreement with the topic.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt at Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe at comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
<snip>
I also write software for a living and I guess it is kind of like this.
If I had a lawn mower that I rented to my neighbors. They just had to
pay me once and they could use it whenever they wanted. And then one day
I MOVED AWAY WITHOUT LEAVING ANY WAY TO CONTACT ME and someone new moved
into the neighborhood. Because I am not there to collect my rent, does
that give them the right to just come and take my lawn mower? I'm not
quite as stringent as some of the others here, but the undeniable truth
and legality of this is that the software belongs to the copyright
holder, whether it appears abandoned or not. Do I think they would mind?
Probably not, but if you do this, you are, strictly speaking, breaking
the law.

By moving away and not leaving contact info, you have abandoned your
lawn mower.
<snip>