[NTLK] Fwd: Apple Confirms January 27th Media Event

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Jan 19 08:32:48 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG at aafes.com> wrote:
> Couldn't you use a stylus if you REALLY wanted to, or is more keyed to a human finger?
>
> Reason I ask, if they don't have a stylus, couldn't a person just find one out there for other tablet devices (a Newton stylus even) and use it on this new device?

All the stylii <g> I've seen for the iPhone are fat on the end like a
finger. Pointed stylii are out, because the touch is
capacitive-based--in other words, requiring an electrical charge based
on your skin. It needs a surface area to work with, I guess. I can't
see this working like this. I _have_ seen a tablet that uses a special
stylus that the touch screen recognizes, and works like a normal
stylus, but I somehow don't see Apple going the stylus route. It's too
"twentieth-century" and confusing to have two ways of interacting. For
the same reason, I don't see this guy working with a BlueTooth
keyboard, sadly.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland