[NTLK] The coming tablet-ish whatever-it-is

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:17:54 EST 2010

This article was quite an interesting read, though I couldn¹t help thinking
at times that the author was wishing for something that would be Newton-like
in some of its functions, and perhaps that for whatever reason he wasn¹t
really familiar with what a Newton can do.

http://www.macworld.com/article/145813/tabletthoughts.html

At first I told myself, ³Not possible; he¹s bound to have seen a the Newt².
Then I remembered that a few years ago I was at a MacLiveExpo in London
(UK), at the stand of one of the Mac magazines (don¹t remember which).  I
started making notes in Newt and right away one of the people there said
³what¹s THAT?²  Next thing I knew I had all 3 of their people watching me.
One of them noticed it had the Apple logo on it, then noticed the word
³Newton² and asked if that¹s what it was.  It turned out he was the only one
of the 3 who really knew about the Newton, and none of them had ever seen
one up close before.  I¹ve had similar reactions in Apple Stores too.  So I
suppose it¹s possible this guy can talk about things like ³... it still
needs to provide a fast and efficient way for users to input text‹and more
than just a little text² without realizing that Apple already knows how to
do that.

I may as well say it:  if this ³thing² could mimic some of the key Newton
features even as an option, I think it could win over people who right now
are on the fence.

So, how about we take his headline and ask ourselves ‹ just for fun ‹ the
question he asked himself:    ³What key features will a tablet need before
you buy one?     Is it a big iPhone or a small Mac?²

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4