[NTLK] Copyright Test [was h*cks, kr*ks, SN]

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Thu Jan 21 18:28:37 EST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 2:50 PM, SteveCraft wrote:

> Could take NTLK (and Grant personally?) to-task for supporting
> copyright
> infringement. Even if any case brought against NTLK amounts to
> nothing,
> I don't want to see e'list taken down for a single second while
> lawyers
> debate a debate, or worse.

Yes, there is a potential for damage to (or shutting down of) the
mailing list if it suspected (or proven) to be involved (directly or
indirectly) with infringement of copyright or intellectual property.

However, it's very unlikely.

Frankly, this could happen to any mailing list or forum or blog -
depending on what type of information has been discussed or
distributed through that channel. Based on dozens of questionable
threads that have taken place on this list over the years, I'm
actually surprised that we haven't been notified or served.

(Keeping my fingers crossed.)

That being said, I do not wish to limit the topics under discussion on
this list. In fact, this particular thread has been very interesting,
at times both exciting and exasperating - and thoroughly appropriate
for the NewtonTalk community.

However, I will not tolerate the blatant disregard or abuse of
copyright or intellectual property on the list. Nor will I tolerate
the distribution of registration codes or serial numbers on the list.
It's one thing to offer technical assistance for unsupported (or
apparently abandoned) software. It's quite another thing to distribute
"h*cks, kr*ks, and w*rez" &c.

There are certain things that should remain off-list.

Use your common sense and good judgement.

> Let's just end the whole thread right about now.

I have to agree. This one has pretty much run its course.

> And delete this thread from the archives and pretend it never
> happened.

No can do. Even if I had an easy way of eliminating specific threads
or messages from the archives, I wouldn't do it. All messages posted
to the NewtonTalk list are public records.

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian

http://splorp.com/newton