[NTLK] Fact Check

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Fri Jan 22 10:08:34 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Stefan Thorsteinson
<Stefan at teamaircom.com> wrote:
> In 1993, I'm guessing there were only a few people that had that same
> capability. Would that be an example of Apple (Scully) forward thinking?

I think so. Anybody remember RadioMail? WyndMail? or the AllPoints
card? I think these were NOS 2.0, though, which was a bit later.

We need to remember that the Newton was intended, first of all, to be
a communications device. In other words, to communicate
electronically. It was extremely "buzzword compliant" for its day--IR
(very, very new), modem, fax, etc. It was probably the most connected
portable device of its day when it came out. This was all before
always-on internet, and the Web. People today think that the Newton
was an island, but it was a _very_ connected island. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland