[NTLK] Modem setup

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Sat Jan 23 11:07:39 EST 2010

On Friday, January 22, 2010, at 08:23PM, "Mike Rodgers" <pmiker at copper.net> wrote:
>I tried to find the answer via the faq and google.  No luck.  How do I
>set up the Newton for dialup?  I have NIE installed and Newtscape.  I
>have an xJack 33.6 modem.  I dial in, hear the modems, then nothing.  I
>can only assume that the handshake, id, password or something failed.  I
>tried a script to pass id and password.  No good.  Is there a way to get
>a terminal window up showing what is going on?  Perhaps my login script
>is wrong.  I cannot figure out how to check it.
>
>Could someone point me to a faq or help out?

After the necessary software, you basically need 3 things for dialup on the Newt...a compatible PC card modem, an access number, and--likely most important--a modem script.

EarthLink is my ISP...but originally I started with MindSpring ten years ago. They were soon bought by EarthLink...and fortunately for me there's a MindSpring modem script included, as I can't get connected with the EarthLink one.

You can try several of the different modem scripts listed...maybe one will work, provided yours isn't there already.

If that fails you'll have to write your own...it's not particularly hard, there's several webpages that can help you with that. This is something I found quickly that will get you started: http://www.56k.com/inits/ccledit.shtml  .

Good luck...let us know how it goes for you!

--anasazi4st