[NTLK] hypernewt

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 26 18:44:29 EST 2010

On 1/26/10 2:42 PM, Mike Rodgers wrote:
> Does anyone have reviews of this?  Did it require much overhead?  Did it
> duplicate features in other apps?  I have MoreInfo, Newtcase, Dashboard
> and the SBM utilities.  Would Hypernewt enhance this setup?

HyperNewt can be thought of as a Notes enhancement - you can either use
its features as a standalone application, as a 'front-end' or
'gateway' to the Notes application, or as a replacement for Notes.

HyperNewt has two features that I find useful:

1) It allows you to create a folder tree hierarchy for your notes (think
classic computer folder structure) in addition to the folder structure
in your Notes application. You can think of this capability as a
three-dimensional array of folders.

2) It allows you to create mini-notes that act as hyperlinks to data in
other Newton applications.

I have settled on using HyperNewt as the 'gateway' into my Notes
application.  When I tap on the title of a note, it is opened within the
Notes application.  I can also use HyperNewt's toolbar to move a
highlight bar within the list and then use the overview toolbar button
to open the highlighted note within HyperNewt, if desired.

Among others, I have the following 'root' level directories in HyperNewt:

Errands
Projects
Journal
Reference
Templates

Among others, my Newton has the following 'common' folders (the same
across applications):

Farm
Computing
Personal
Pet

Here are a few examples how this all works together for me:

1) Reference in HyperNewt is a dumping ground for all sorts of esoteric
knowledge, with the Newton folders acting as 'filters'.
  - What my dog weighed on a given day (folder: Pet)
  - The set-up for my ISPs (folder: Computing)
  - A list of the registration codes for various Newton applications
(folder: Computing)
  - A checklist of the goats currently in my herd (folder: Farm) - with
a hyperlink into 'Templates'.

2) Journal is where I collect notes of (usually) daily activities and
observations.  I generally am lazy about assigning folders, but once in
awhile move them all to the Personal folder.

3) Projects is where it all gets fun (some GTD-ish stuff here).

  - One current project is to worm my goats, which is done by weight.  I
created a spreadsheet in Works with all of my goats (folder: Farm) and
hyperlinked it to 'Projects'.  Today I 'weighed' the goats using a tape
measure; someday soon I will work from the spreadsheet to measure out
the appropriate dose for each animal and administer it.  In the
meantime, the hyperlink is in my list of projects for quick review.

  - Another farm project is to trim the goats' hooves.  Go to Templates,
open the checklist through the hyperlink, duplicate it, and move the
duplicate to 'Projects'.  Change title appropriately.  It might take me
two weeks to work my way through the list, and as I do, I check off
which ones have been done and add the date after the name.  When all are
done, I move the checklist to a sub-directory in HyperNewt
(/Projects/Completed).  This is where the three-dimensional aspect comes
into play.

  - I am currently scoping out a project to upgrade the insulation in
part of my attic.  This project is contained in a sub-directory within
Projects.  This sub-directory (appropriately named) contains a hyperlink
to a Works drawing of the area to be upgraded (chimney, dimensions,
other 'features'), a checklist of what has to be done to finish the
project, another checklist of materials needed (hyperlinked into
'Errands'), maybe a cost estimating Works spreadsheet hyperlink, etc -
all in the 'Home' folder.  Again, when I am done, the whole
sub-directory will be refiled into /Projects/Completed.

  - My local county has a Hazardous Waste pickup every other year.  I
have a sub-directory within Projects named 'Someday'.  I have a
checklist here to collect ideas of things to be turned in, and where I
have them stored.  When the date is fixed (usually 3 or 4 months ahead),
it gets moved to 'up' to the main Projects directory.

4) Within the Errands directory, I have a checklist with major topics
aligned with the aisles in my local supermarket.  This is hyperlinked
into Templates.  Duplicate, add items, with markups as to which are
special deals and/or have coupons.  My Newton comes shopping with me.

HTH...

  - Don