[NTLK] My new serial cable

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 27 16:03:40 EST 2010

It is well worthwhile doing downloads with Courier and an internet connection
over ethernet or Wifi.  1MB only takes a few seconds.  10MB wouldn't take longer
than a 2-3 minutes.  I used to breakup eBooks into a 200-300KB but no need now.

15 minutes to download 4MB sounds inordinately slow.  Was there a lot of network
traffic at the time?

HTH

Tony

[snip]
~~~ On 2010/01/27 13:49, Goodwin, Greg P. at GoodwinG at aafes.com wrote ~~~

> You know as "high tech and advanced" as the Newton OS was often toated, and I
> agreed with that, my big beef was the transfer speeds with other devices.   15
> minutes to transfer a 4mb mp3 over a direct network link?   Please!!

Greg,

I agree the Newton is slower at data transfer than I'd like.   Last night I
finally downloaded 10Mb of e-books onto a card in my Newt, and used the time
that took to make myself a pot of Cypriot coffee.  Mmmmm!  When I returned,
mellow and happy, I had my books.  But it was slow!
[snip]