[NTLK] Newton Bible Software

Jim Lee jimlee at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 27 23:05:47 EST 2010

On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Mike Rodgers wrote:

> Yes, it has lost some of it's popularity but here in the southern US,
> the Bible is still pretty popular.

  Agree, the Bible Belt has always been a stronghold - but I'm seeing
growing interest in the Western states, too...

> I have The Message and a KJV NT.  There's also a KJV complete but it's
> big.  I can copy and paste from The Message into Notes but no
> highlighting or notes allowed in the app.

  Lack of Newton Bible software is one thing that initially drove me
to the Palm platform.  Imagine telling someone from, say, just 20
years in the past, that you are carrying 33 full English Bible
translations in your pocket, along with the original Greek, Hebrew, &
Aramaic texts, plus lexicons, dictionaries, and commentaries.  All
searchable in an instant, with full note-taking and bookmarking.
That's what I have with MyBible, and it only occupies maybe 1GB total
of a 16GB SD card.  Heck, I can barely believe it myself!

  I thought about writing my own Bible engine on the Newton not too
long ago, but dismissed it due to the limited storage space and
processing power (for this application, anyway).  Now, the iPad may
actually be a good choice for such an application, but I hate to think
about buying all those reference works all over again, and then trying
to port all my notes...

-Jim