[NTLK] iPhone is not the new Newton (& announcing a Newt sell-off shortly)

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Thu Jan 28 01:51:35 EST 2010

On 6/1/10, I'm not sure who wrote:

>Jobs wanted to see the Newton dead, for more than entirely rational
>reasons
>
>OS itself was on borrowed time

Yet the gold standard of OS evaluators, Byte, said it was best PC
operating system ever right before it got Steved, even better than
Mac.

And what OS isn't on borrowed time ever?

In fact, is any other OS version in its teens still as actively in
use as 2.1 is?

I'm utterly incompetent to judge anything about the technicalities of
continuing to develop Newt OS, but I do know it's more true than not:
Where there's a will there's a way.

I've said it here before and today's global Apple hysteria just
further underscores my take:

Newton was a way too cheap and efficient way to get lotsa things done
= too little margin.

Had Newton been allowed to achieve its potential Apple would now be a
fraction the company it became: one of biggest, most reliable cash
cows in world.

Did it really take nearly 15 years to come up with a color tablet
than can web surf, but doesn't multitask?!! (And does he really
believe it's Apple's most advanced technology?)

Jobs doesn't strike me as irrational in his professional life -- And
I sure as Hell don't want to know about his personal one, assuming he
has one.

I don't see any of whatever achievements he claims greater than
Apple's bottom line for more than a decade now.

Everything points to him seeing well how much a threat Newton was/is
to HIS agenda, and acting very accordingly.

And I suspect that agenda is a major if not THE reason Newton
engineers abandoned ship.

I also wonder how much weight to give interviews and articles
indicating otherwise -- I doubt many techies want to cross Jobs: he
wields considerable power in their whole world, not just inside Apple.

I'm also not doubting Gates had considerable sway on Newt's demise as
well, since it was and in several ways still is closest thing to his
dream machine. He musta been greener than Wicked Witch of the West
with envy.