[NTLK] ipad

Larry Yaeger lsynt3 at beanblossom.in.us
Thu Jan 28 02:42:20 EST 2010

FWIW, I am both disappointed by and excited about the iPad.  I'm
disappointed that it doesn't support pen input, that it doesn't have
a video camera to support video chat, and that it uses the iPhone OS
instead of Mac OS.  But I'm excited that this is the e-reader I've
always dreamed of and so much more.

I've heard people say they'd prefer to stick with their Kindle, and
that's fine for them.  I loved my original Kindle, love my Kindle 2
even more, and am ecstatic to have the Kindle app on my iPhone (that
even syncs what page you're at between iPhone and Kindle).  I really
respect and use Amazon all the time and absolutely love my Kindle.

That said, the new iPad is what I've been waiting for.  Color.  Large
screen.  Will let me read PDF documents properly.  [The latest
version of the Kindle OS *finally* handles PDF files natively, but
the screen is too small to be usable (I've tried) unless you go to
the DX version, and even that doesn't do color.]  Dockable to a
keyboard or it can use a wireless blue-tooth keyboard.  (And you know
it won't be long before enterprising 3rd parties provide more than
one kind of portable keyboard for it.)  Video.  Web browser.  Email.
Spreadsheets, text & image documents, electronic slides.  Games.
Maps.  Directions.  The entire iPhone app catalog.  It really is a
quite remarkable device *and* a great e-reader.

There's a good chance I will continue to use the Kindle app instead
of or in addition to Apple's iBook, unless they are well integrated.
Have to see.

I've heard people express concern about fingerprints on the touch
screen, but I don't think this is really an issue.  I use the touch
screen to read on my iPhone quite frequently, and it has never been a
problem.

The only points people have made about the Kindle being better that I
might slightly agree with are on reading in bright, direct sunlight,
battery life, and weight.

But the iPad's display is LED-backlit, not fluorescent-backlit like
all older and still most inexpensive modern displays.  Having lived
with an LED-backlit display on my "unibody" MacBook Pro for a while
now, I know it's a *lot* brighter than older LCD displays (and comes
to full brightness instantly, unlike older displays), so I *think*
the display will be fine, under whatever conditions I care to use it.
(I don't lay on the beach and read, so that kind of long-period,
extremely bright reading condition doesn't apply to me.)

And the month of standby battery life, coupled with 10 hours of
battery life even when displaying videos, suggests that battery life
will not be an issue for me either.  I will say I love the fact that
as long as I leave my wireless connection off I can get my Kindle 2
to last for a month of actual, frequent use (I read from it all the
time).  I probably can't get the iPad to do that, no matter what I
turn off, though I'm certainly going to try "airplane mode" and see
what I see.  But if I turn on the Kindle's wireless, it doesn't last
over a week anyway.  And I'll probably have a keyboard dock at home
and office, and just drop it into that when it's not in my hands for
reading or my backpack for travel, unless I decide to use it with a
wireless blue-tooth keyboard, which would be awfully nice.  Anyway, I
*think* I'll be okay on the battery life front.

Weight-wise, it's only a tiny bit heavier than the Kindle DX (.68 kg
vs. .54 kg), though it is more than twice as heavy as my Kindle 2
(.28 kg).  For the benefit of being able to read PDF files easily and
well, the weight is worth it, to me, never mind all the other things
of which the iPad is capable.

Bottom line, for me, I know I'm going to be getting an iPad, and I
suspect my Kindle is going to be displaced.  But, only time and
experimentation will tell.  (If they'd used a full Mac OS X, this
would likely have displaced my MacBook Pro too.)  As always, YMMV.

- larryy