[NTLK] ipad

Joel M. Sciamma joel at inventors-emporium.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 14:02:15 EST 2010

Remember that here on this list, where most of us are already fairly
well tech’d-up, the iPad is inevitably going to have significant
overlap with stuff we already have, so it’s USP is pretty much lost on
us.

Not only that but devices at this price point have to demand for us to
use them by offering a really convincing reason to spend the cash on
them, learn them, update them, charge, sync and back them up as well
as manage the cost of the inevitable accessories and software plus the
certain debugging woes etc. etc. that always come as part and parcel
of any platform. All that tending gets to be pain when you add it to
all the other gear that is whining and yapping for attention.

The question for people like us is, will an iPad really make much
difference to ones life or is it really just technophilia? I guess
it’s mostly the latter with a bit of curiosity thrown in.

For those with a laptop already, the iPad looks like a bit of luxury
with no solid need backing it up.

Now think about it from the POV of someone for whom this may their
_only_ computer. Then it makes a lot of sense because it will offer
them a way to be part of the online and digital life without having to
navigate the quagmire of a creaky old OS like the Mac or Windows,
which many find intimidating.

I’d much rather give my 85-year-old mum an iPad than the MacBook she
currently has and frankly finds a bit of a pain.

I, on the other hand, find that the serious amount of computing power
at my disposal does not even begin to do what I want in the way that I
want to do it, despite my 200+ apps, QuicKeys and Applescript
automation. I see the Mac as still being a primitive, clumsy,
obstructive old relic, which because I develop software, I have the
misfortune to have to stare at all day.

So for me, the iPad does so little of interest at the moment and would
steal even more time and effort from me, that it’s just irrelevant.
Looking at a computer all day means that I don’t want them to infect
my leisure time as well.

For the right audience, the iPad deserves to be a success. It has the
looks, performance and functionality to serve them pretty well and
will be fun to use. For us there is no need to consume just for the
sake of it.

One last scurrilous point. For at least 13 years we, as Newton owners,
have had to put up with jibes about how big and bulky it is and why
anyone would be so nuts as to carry such a brick around. I look
forward with interest to see who will lug an iPad around after the
novelty has worn off...

Joel.