[NTLK] iPad

Riccardo Mori rick at poc.it
Thu Jan 28 15:24:45 EST 2010

quoth Matej Horvat:

> Agreed. It's just a giant iPod touch

Not replying directly to Matej, I just wanted to get into the thread to share a simple observation. I'm always amazed at how opinionated people can be as regards to a device they *haven't even held in their hands*. And I'm also amazed at how many people (not only here) seem to be seeing just the trees (*their* trees) and not the forest. Judging iPad for just what you have seen so far is unfair and myopic. It is clear to me that the iPad is both a step further in the expansion of the touch platform and a beginning of something that's changing in the way regular users do and consider 'personal computing'.

As I said previously, there are a lot of people out there, a lot of *non-geeks*, for whom the iPad can be an optimal solution for their general-purpose computing. People who don't need (or couldn't take advantage properly of) the power of a full-blown laptop, but want something as easy/intuitive to use as an iPhone or iPod touch but with a bigger, brighter screen.

What can an iPad do? A lot of things, in my opinion. All the things the iPhone/iPod touch are useful for, and more, thanks to its bigger screen, faster processor, and (finally) support for external, physical, keyboards. The bigger screen is not *just* a bigger screen, it renders some existing apps for iPhone even more useful and usable: Maps, the completely rewritten Calendar, the iWork suite (with which you can also create documents and content, not just passively browsing it as it is on the iPhone) and many more already in the App Store. In the future, developers will develop tailored apps for the iPad that will extend its capabilities even more; so, in a sense, I don't really see it as a 'limited' device. I'm seeing it as a very promising, very expandable device (not really from a hardware standpoint, but from a use/applications standpoint). I hope I'm making sense.

Cheers,
Rick

System Folder - The Platinum Days
<http://systemfolder.wordpress.com>