[NTLK] iPad... heaven preserve us...

Tony Douglas tonyisyourpal at netscape.net
Thu Jan 28 20:28:11 EST 2010

An interesting comment in the midst of all the posts that fall into some combination of

"iPad sucks !"
"iPad is brilliant !"
"iPad sucks and people who think it's brilliant are dumb !"
"iPad is brilliant and people who think it's sucks are just too dumb to get !"

etc etc etc was the following :

"just try it"

The fact is, we've had a consummate salesman pitch the device, and a pile of PR media to promote it. If people *didn't* want to buy it after that, you'd have to consider the PR blitz to have been a dreadful failure.

However, the fact is that very few, if any, of us on the list have *actually used* one of these devices - those either in the love it or hate it camp. As always, the devil is in the detail, and what looks like it should be a killer feature could easily turn out to be a total dud, and what looks like a totally "ho hum what's the point" feature may turn out to be the "gotta have it !" factor.

So, until those who are interested in the iPad one way or another have had a chance to try it out, can we chill out, just for a while ?

i hate to say it, but the endless fulmination *after* the iPad announcement is becoming even more tedious than the acreage of speculation *before* it was announced !

oh, and for me ? no particular interest to me i'm afraid - i have my newts for productivity stuff, and more media players than i can shake a stick at for the rest.

- tony