[NTLK] ipad

Larry Yaeger lsynt3 at beanblossom.in.us
Thu Jan 28 23:57:07 EST 2010

At 7:53 PM -0200 1/28/10, robinson pereira wrote:
>Sorry!!! It is not Paragraph. PhatWare have the WRITEPAD!!!
>
>http://phatware.com/index.php?q=product/details/writepad

Thanks.  It looks like WritePad and PhatNotes from PhatWare might be interesting, if their recognition accuracy is any good.

At 1:57 PM -0800 1/28/10, Matej Horvat wrote:
>http://www.penreader.com/index.html
>
>The software looks suspiciously similar to the Paragraph recognizer in Newtons (even the "letter styles" control panel is the same, at least in the Windows version). Their company history page mentions Newton as well:
>
>http://www.penreader.com/company/history.html

Doesn't look this Paragon product exists for the iPhone.  And despite the similarity in names between Paragon and Paragraph, and the Russian connection, I don't *think* they're related.  Paragon says they started with a port of the Newton to the Russian language, whereas Paragraph produced the original Newton recognizer, when they were still trying to just get English to work.  But who knows, maybe there's a connection in there somewhere.

At 2:19 PM -0800 1/28/10, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
>In addition to WritePad, there is NoteTaker that has HWR however, I
>don't know if there is a Global setting in either of them.

NoteTaker looks kind of interesting.  The UI looks like it was designed by a programmer (which it was, Dan Bricklin, co-inventor of VisiCalc!), but if the recognition accuracy is any good it might be genuinely useful.  Dunno.

I might have to try PhatNotes and NoteTaker on my iPhone, to get ready for my iPad. :)

- larryy