[NTLK] ipad

Forrest Buffenmyer anasazi4st at me.com
Fri Jan 29 11:02:14 EST 2010

On Friday, January 29, 2010, at 06:24AM, "James Wages" <james at kiramek.com> wrote:
>Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:31:56 -0500  Sonny Hung <sonnyhung at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why people are so harsh in their opinions at times about
>> the iPad just out of the gate.
>
>Sonny, I know your comments were directed at everyone who had anything
>negative to say about the iPad, but I wish to point out that my feelings
>were the same prior and after the release.  My post, which no one cared to
>comment on, is here:
>
>http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=126465984719401&w=2
>(Note the "bugs" I found in that engadget video.)

Hello James...

Just because no one commented on it, doesn't mean we didn't read it. I actually thought it was a fairly well-thought-out analysis, that I for the most part agreed with.

Iincidentally, someone here on NTLK did comment a little while ago on the "bugs" you found in the video (sorry, I searched and couldn't identify who that was), and how that's not uncommon. You can read here ( http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/john-sculley-newton-origin.html ) about the CES Chicago Show demo of the first Newton that almost went very wrong: "There were an incredible number of bugs to fix. Oftentimes units became too hot to handle because of faulty power managers. The software was not very reliable either. As the team practiced demonstrations of key features like faxing and beaming information via infrared, the MessagePad failed more often than it succeeded....Luckily the demonstration went well".

The feed I was watching had live audio after the presentation...the host was trying to play a game on the iPad, and it wouldn't work. He was told by an Apple staffer that the games hadn't been set up in all the demo units yet.

So, it's not uncommon for the "mock-ups" to not be completely functional.

--Forrest