[NTLK] All you Apple 'tools' (iPad, iPhone)

Goodwin, Greg P. GoodwinG at aafes.com
Fri Jan 29 12:59:45 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mkow1234 at aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:34 AM
To: newtontalk at newtontalk.net
Subject: [NTLK] All you Apple 'tools' (iPad, iPhone)

Nothing like giving the Apple company a whole lot of free 'social media
exposure'.

Please give it a rest, now.

This place is intended for discussion of the Apple Newton.

I honestly have no problem with discussing other things other than Newton.

Over time we have explored various other tablet, phones, music players, all in the hopes of finding something like the Newton.  Nothing will be exactly "like" the Newton, but the Newton showed us a concept of a device and a function and since that time we have explored other possibilities that could meet the same mission statement.

We have primarily been interested in Apple developing another tablet-like device.  For starters, Apple does a complete job to make a device user friendly, and effective.  Can think of few Apple devices that were not.

But aside from the complete-geek-attracting package that Apple would create, I think there are other questions we ask deep inside, like for example...

1) why did Apple cancel the Newton?

And while we know the financial answer to that question, it is the subconscious reason behind that decision to go with the desktop line, drop the tablets (Newton) and then what made us really wonder...

2) Why has it taken Apple so long to create another tablet?

We talked earlier this year about the actual market that would be willing to buy a tablet Apple device.  Many have stayed Newton users because they liked the device, liked Apple, wanted to keep using that simple device that was not bogged down by an established bulky operating system.

Sure Win tablets and Mac modifications have existed, but those and many other devices did not have the cool, quick rom based OS with flash storage like the Newton.

So why do we talk about other tablets?  It's simple...

3) How else could a tablet be done, better or worse, compared to the Newton.

That is always a fascinating discussion.  Or there is my other favorite...

4) How devices showing up now are just now using traits that we saw in the Newton.

Or in other words, how Newton was ahead of it's time.

So really, love talking about Newtons, and I love talking about other tablet devices in loose relation to what I said above.

    .    .   Doctor Clu  (member of...)
    )\,,/    THE PRISON BOARD BBS  972-329-0781 / telnet://rdfig.net
   /(- _O)   Fido/Dovenet Messages, Games, chat, newsgroup & Mail
  ( \____ )  Old School Computer BBS list (X at main then A or C)