[NTLK] AA NiMH Rechargeables

Joel M. Sciamma joel at inventors-emporium.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 17:45:55 EST 2010

Brad wrote:

> Anyone have good things to say about these fairly new low-self
> discharge hybrid NiMH batteries? For example Sanyo has a brand called
> Eneloop. How many days of average use can one expect to get with these
> in a MP2x00?

I find them to be the best batteries I have ever used, especially in
the MP2K.

I'm getting a couple of weeks of daily light use (often with
backlight) but when the machine is not used and is just in standby, I
think it would be months before they needed replacing. Eneloops have a
slightly higher voltage than other NiMH cells, which is also a small
benefit.

Lighter the use, the better they are, because the low self-discharge
means that they are always ready when conventional NiMH would be flat.
So even for TV remotes and torches they are a good fit. Effectively it
finally means the end of primary batteries for most circumstances and
all the waste and expense they bring.

I did a fair amount of research and it looks to me that the Eneloops
have the best technology of this breed.

One point to note is that these cells should not be fast-charged
(200mA is probably ideal) so that implies an overnight or longer
recharge time. I think this is well worth tolerating for what is close
to an ideal battery.
Depending on the application this might mean you have to have an extra
set of cells to always have them ready.

Joel.