[NTLK] Y2010 Fix Idea

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Sun Jan 31 15:12:37 EST 2010

On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:10 PM, Eckhart Koeppen wrote:

>> If a reset occurs, and this extension is loaded first, it checks
>> and compares the Newton's time against the last saved time. If
>> there is a multi-year difference, it set's the date and time to the
>> last saved date and time... maybe even add a minute for the loss of
>> time During reset.
>
> That should definitely work, and I was thinking about adding that
> workaround to the patches. Fixing the function which is actually
> causing the time to be reset looks hard, it is called very early in
> the boot process, and it is not in the patchable area.

Here's another possibility ...

I used to use a utility called NetTime [1,2], which polled a time
server to auto-correct the Newton's clock. NetTime only works with
older RFC 868 protocol time servers [3] and apparent no longer works
after the Y2010 patch has been installed. According to Borja Robles's
post [4] on Tony Kan's 'My Apple Newton' blog, attempting to connect
to an RFC 868 server (such as ntp2.usno.navy.mil) results in a "Remote
time outside range" error.

[1] <http://www.unna.org/view.php?/internet/NetTime>
[2] <http://n-1.nl/newton/packages/NetTime.pkg>
[3] <http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm>
[4] <http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2010/01/2010-bug-part-xix-fasttimes.html

I am trying to locate the source code for NetTime, as it was once a
piece of sample code from Apple.

If we could tweak NetTime to work under the Y2010 patch (as well as
with more modern, non-deprecated time servers) we might be able to
have our Newtons auto-correct themselves after a reset.

g.

Grant Hutchinson

Interface Considerations. Feature Deprecation. Typography. Rawk.

http://splorp.com
http://mtile.us/splorp
http://flickr.com/splorp
http://twitter.com/splorp